Aberdeen’s newest community training kitchen, Cook at the ‘Nook, is really taking off with several groups up and running. Today CFINE Development Worker Sean McVeigh ran a cooking class that looks at tasty meals made from stock made available through FareShare, which saves good food destined for waste. Full ingredients and how-to available below, happy cooking!
“When I came in this morning we had received a mixed bag of fresh ingredients. Among these were streaky bacon, double cream, cheese and mushrooms, so we decided that we would make a creamy bacon and pasta dish. We looked out all the other ingredients that we needed from the warehouse and made our way up to the kitchen.”
“After sitting down for a quick catch up and a read through the recipe I had written, the group got to work. Within minutes the kitchen was abuzz with everyone
getting down to work cooking up a storm. An hour later we sat down to eat, everyone loved the food with a few having seconds
or taking leftovers home to let kids, partners and parents try the results of their efforts.”
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 5 slices of streaky bacon, finely chopped.
- 2 Tbsp. peas.
- 3 mushrooms (optional), sliced.
- 100ml double cream.
- 50ml of skimmed milk.
- 50g of cheese, grated.
- 150g pasta.
- In a frying pan, fry onions for 2-3 mins.
- Add in bacon and fry until bacon is starting to turn crispy.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and fry for 1-2 more mins.
- Add in peas, cream and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add in half of cheese and simmer for a few more mins.
- In a pan bring 2 litres of water to a rolling boil add in pasta and cook to pack instructions.
- Mix pasta and sauce together, sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve with bread.
Partner Focus lets members of Aberdeen City Food Network to share news, events, and information. If your organisation is delivering cooking/food skills training in Aberdeen, and would like to get involved, please get in touch with Christine – email@example.com or call 01224 59615